Obsession (2025) (3 Months Later)

​SO, it’s been (almost) 3 months since my review on Obsession (2025) starring Michael Johnston and Inde Navarrette and since then i’ve now seen it 3 times.


It’s been so refreshing to see a movie become so popular purely because it’s good and not because it’s a half assed sequel or god forbid, part of the MCU (no shade, my love for Spider-Man may as well be a part of my personality). Cinema is not dead. 

I’ve had a lot of time to process more on this movie and wanted to clarify a few things in case my one reader was confused on anything. 

First off, movies a 10/10. I originally had it as a 8/10 but this movie consumed me and my mind for weeks and after my second viewing I just thought, fuck it, give it a 10.

Second, I mentioned in my first review that I was really adamant on not liking Bear and I wasn’t sure if that was the intention of the film. It was 100% the intention on the film. But, I guess my hesitance on firmly stating that point was because I hadn’t looked at other reviews and perceptions on the movie (I also saw Alex Myers’ god awful review of the movie defending Bear and it actually made me spiral into a fit of rage) and I didn’t want to be the only one thinking he was a piece of shit I guess? If that makes any sense. So, in short, Bear is an abuser and rapist and a piece of shit which I knew and felt but needed to make sure that’s what everyone else was feeling.

Thirdly, there’s so many details I noticed in my second viewing. I said in my first review that the first time we saw Nikki break free from the spell was when they were kissing in his bed and she freaked out but ACTUALLY it was shortly after he made the wish. And, I mention this because, the unsettling and eerie music cuts out for that brief period of time and it’s just so incredible. I felt like such a genius when I noticed that. 

FOURTH, I didn’t clock this until my friend Liam told me. But the reason why Ian was telling Bear to call Nikki “Freaky Nikki” (which she despises) is to “sabotage” his attempt at asking Nikki out. I put sabotage in quotations because Bear didn’t have a shot either way lmao. 

And, can I just say, later in the film when possessed Nikki is asleep and real Nikki breaks free to tell Bear to end it, he has this “would it be that bad to be with me 💔🥀” YES. YES IT FUCKING WOULD. You suck. But also, as Nikki rightfully points out, IT’S NOT REAL. He’s such a loser bro I can’t. 

It’s insane how much this movie blew up and how many people I’ve spoken to who don’t really watch movies or thrillers that have seen this. After my second viewing I watched all of Curry Barker & Cooper Tomlinson’s short films on YouTube and they genuinely have such compelling and intense stories. I especially love Milk & Serial. Very creepy and well made. 

I’m very excited for the Blu-Ray to come out and I’m hoping for some crazy behind the scenes footage and maybe even the two different endings of the movie. 

Thanks for reading my friends and ai can fuck right off. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obsession (2025) Review

Backrooms (2026) Review